Dental Inlays and Onlays
If you have tooth decay, the best and most conservative way to ensure that the tooth will remain healthy is to remove the decay and then, depending upon the extant of the decay, restore the tooth with a composite filling (most common situation), an inlay, or an onlay.
Through the use of magnification (dental loupes) and the latest advances in dental technology used in our Atlanta dental practice, impressive results are achieved for all Atlanta Smiles’ patients seeking to either replace their existing silver fillings with long lasting durable white fillings or to repair mild to moderate tooth decay.
What’s the difference between inlays and onlays?
- Inlays refer to those procedures where the bonded material is limited to the center of the tooth.
- Onlays refer to those procedures where the bonded material can extend further to one of more of the cusps (pointed or rounded projection on the chewing surface of a tooth).
What are the benefits of inlays and onlays?
- Natural look: Inlays and onlays have a natural tooth color that makes them virtually invisible compared to metal fillings.
- Great fit: Inlays and onlays will not expand or contract based on temperature like metal fillings. Longevity: Inlays and onlays can last up to thirty years, longer than any other type of filling.
- Minimal tooth structure removed: Inlays and onlays require the minimal removal of a tooth’s surface, helping to preserve the maximum amount of healthy tooth structure while restoring decayed or damaged areas.
How it’s done
Typically, two visits are required for the placements of inlays and onlays. In the first visit, your Atlanta Smiles dentist will take an impression of your tooth, which will be sent to a lab to create the permanent inlay or onlay.
Before you leave, Dr. Stan Eisenberg or Dr. Cindy Bogdanoff will fit your tooth with a temporary inlay/onlay to keep the tooth protected between visits. During your second visit, your temporary inlay/onlay will be removed and replaced with the permanent inlay/onlay received from the lab.